OWLS stands for “Older Wiser Lutherans” and is our Older Adult Ministry here at Immanuel.
We offer the following:
OWLS Fitness—Meets weekly on Fridays 8:30-9:45 a.m. in the Narthex. (In the summer we meet on Wednesdays instead of Fridays) In OWLS Fitness we focus on various aspects of fitness: SPIRITUAL—We always start with a devotion, focusing on Jesus’ love and forgiveness and have a prayer together.
-PHYSICAL—We have exercise time led by a former physical therapist. Participants only do what they feel comfortable doing, and the exercise can be tailored to people’s various levels of fitness.
-MENTAL—We have a “Brain Challenge” which can either be a game or a word puzzle.
-SOCIAL—We enjoy fellowship together. And we always share laughs together! OWLS Activities
Various OWLS Activities are held throughout the year.
Activities have included:
• Having lunch out at a local restaurant or at church
• Attending plays at East Central College
• Visiting local sites such as the Historical Society and Iron Spike Train Museum
• Going on a Garden Tour in town
• Traveling on Mid-America Coach for “A Day in Amish Country” excursion • Participating in inter-generational activities with our school children (playing games, helping them pack Operation Christian Child boxes, attending the dress rehearsal of the students’ play, etc.)
• Having a “Fun and Games” afternoon, playing board games or Wii Bowling
• Serving by making Chrismons for the church’s tree or helping with Vacation Bible School preparations Watch the bulletin, newsletter, our website, or our Facebook page for details about OWLS Activities offered throughout the year. Contact Deaconess Kelly if you would like more information.